Post-Master's Degree Certification Program for School Principals
Are you inspired to shape your education system? Are you driven to meet the challenges and opportunities of a continuously shifting educational landscape? If you are, then our Shippensburg University’s Principal Certificate program will empower you with the skills and tools needed today and tomorrow. Shippensburg University has partnered with Cumberland Valley School District, Harrisburg School District and the Capital Area Intermediate Unite to provide this valuable training to motivated educators.
What Will I Learn?
There are seven Pennsylvania Inspired Leaders-approved courses, beginning with an online digital badging experience and including two job-embedded internships. The program is designed for students who are full-time educators. Courses are offered on weeknights and weekends to accommodate your schedule. There is a blend of face-to-face meetings and online work. All of the courses are taught by former administrators in the field of educational leadership. You will get to know your professors, who are able to mentor you toward potential career options.
You will gain a solid foundation in:
- Classroom action research and data-informed decision-making
- Legal and ethical issues that impact student learning
- Special education law
- Instructional leadership for diverse student populations
- Technology and designing effective program delivery
- Assessment for student learning
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have?
All of the courses are taught by former administrators in the field of educational leadership. You will get to know your professors, who are able to mentor you toward potential career options.
The program is designed for students who are full-time educators. Courses are offered on weeknights and weekends to accommodate your schedule. The courses require you to be engaged in leadership activities in your professional setting throughout the program, including:
- Developing a community project
- Shadowing an administrator
- Analyzing a curricular resource
- Exploring policy development
- Creating a building-level budget
The Principal Certificate is a Nationally Accredited program approved by the Pennsylvania Department of Education. It is a post-master’s program ideal for individuals who have earned their M.Ed and want to expand their leadership skills.
The Cohort will be held in the spring, aligning with school district’s calendar.
Participating School Districts are: Cumberland Valley, Harrisburg, and Capital Area IU
The training will be offered on site at the various school districts utilizing this training. Check with your school district for the exact training location.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
This program prepares you to work in the following areas:
- School administration
- Curriculum, instruction and assessment
- Content area supervision
- Special education supervisor
- ELP 519: Advanced Leadership and the School Principal PK-12
- ELP 518: The Role of Supervision in Promoting Student Achievement
- ELP 516: Curriculum Assessment and Instruction PK-12 for Diverse Student Populations
- ELP 520: School Finance and Student Learning
- ELP 521: Legal and Ethical Issues that Impact on Student Learning
- ELP 514: Practicum I Leadership Field Experiences at the Building Level
- ELP 522: Practicum II Adv Leadership Field Experiences at the Building level