Skip to main content
Jump to Footer

Visiting & Non-Degree Seeking Students

Shippensburg University provides educational learning opportunities for individuals who wish to take courses for personal, scholarly, or professional growth, without pursuing a degree (bachelor's, master's, or doctorate).

Please note that if you wish to convert to degree-seeking status, you must apply for admission to the University through the regular admissions process.  

APPLY NOW as a Non-Degree Student

New Non-Degree Seeking Students 

Ship welcomes all who wish to take classes without being a degree-seeking student, as long as the University’s academic requirements are met. Learn more about the academic requirements within the Course Catalogs.

Some items to keep in mind:

  • You must ensure the class you want to take permits non-degree students.
  • You must have completed all prerequisites for that course.

Undergraduate Non-Degree Students 

Undergraduate courses are available for high school graduates (or equivalent) who wish to grow for personal and professional reasons, or to transfer credits to another university.

Some items to keep in mind:

  • A maximum of thirty (30) semester credits earned in non-degree status may be credited toward an undergraduate degree.
  • Courses taken by post-baccalaureate non-degree students are usually not transferable toward graduate degree requirements. 
  • All prerequisite coursework requirements of degree-seeking students apply to non-degree seeking students. 
  • Non-degree undergraduate students may enroll in classes after Shippensburg University’s regularly admitted degree-seeking students have enrolled in classes.  

Graduate Non-Degree Students 

Graduate courses are available for applicants who hold a baccalaureate degree but do not wish to obtain a graduate degree (i.e., those pursuing a graduate certificate). 

Some items to keep in mind:

  • If you are planning to pursue a degree program, you should not enroll as a non-degree student. While you may subsequently apply for a graduate degree program, there is no guarantee you will be admitted. 
  • Academic departments (at their discretion) may approve a maximum of nine credit hours of course work (with grades of "B" or higher) taken in non-degree status to count toward a master's degree.  

Non-Degree Student Application

If you wish to enroll in a Shippensburg University class as a non-degree student, please complete our Non-Degree Student Application. First time users will need to create a new account.

Please note: 

  • After successful completion of application, you will receive an email with follow-up directions for enrolling in your course to the email address you provided on your application.
  • Please allow at least two business days for review and processing of application. 

Tuition, Fees, Bills, Refunds, and Employer Payments 

  • For information about tuition, fees, paying your bill, and refund and withdraw policies, visit Student Accounts.
  • For additional questions regarding tuition and financial aid, contact the Financial Aid Office
  • For information about applying for financial assistance from your employer to pay your tuition and/or fees, fill out the applicable Student Accounts’ Form.