Skip to main content
Jump to Footer

Frequently Asked Questions from Transfer Students

How many credits should I complete before transferring?

You may transfer at any time. However, if you transfer with less than 12 college-level credits, your admission is based upon your high school GPA, high school class rank and cumulative college GPA. If you transfer with more than 12 credits, the admission decision is based on your college GPA.

What courses can I take at a community college to transfer to Ship?

College-level courses from any institution with CHEA recognized accreditation will transfer. Before registering at another college, you should contact the Transfer Coordinator in the Office of Admissions who can assist you in selecting courses that will transfer toward your Bachelor's Degree.

How many credits can I transfer to Shippensburg University?

In order to earn a degree at Shippensburg University (SU), all students must complete a minimum of 30 of their last 60 credits at SU. They must also complete half of their major coursework at SU. Certain programs may have limitations on the amount of courses that can transfer toward major requirements.

When will I know how many credits transfer?

After you are accepted, the Office of Admissions will complete an evaluation of your credits within 2 weeks of your offer of admission. Upon completion of your evaluation, you will be notified by e-mail and text message with instructions to access your transcript evaluation via the myDegree Audit planning tool. This will show how your courses will count toward general education requirements, major requirements, and free electives. 

Do grades of 'D' transfer? 

Grades of D or better will transfer to Shippensburg but students may have to repeat courses where a grade of C or better is required.

When can I meet with an admissions counselor to discuss the transfer process?

You can schedule an appointment to meet or speak with the Shippensburg University (SU) transfer coordinator here.

SU Counselors visit many community colleges in Pennsylvania and Maryland each semester.

If you attend a community college, please contact your Transfer Office for more information about SU or visit a counselor when he or she visits your college.

If you are transferring from a college or university not listed or are unable to visit with an Admissions representative at one of the scheduled times, please schedule an appointment to meet with the SU transfer coordinator. 

When will I be assigned an advisor? 

The department chair for your major will serve as your advisor until you are assigned an advisor closer to the start of your first semester at Shippensburg.

Do transfer students attend Orientation? 

For the Fall semester, transfer students attend a one-day Orientation in June designed to meet their needs and to answer questions specific to the transfer process and any concerns they may have. For the Spring semester, they will attend a one-day orientation shortly before the start of the Spring semester. 

When do I register for the classes? 

For the Fall semester, transfer students will register for courses in April. They will receive information regarding the course registration process in addition to contact information for their department chair, who will assist them with the course registration process. 

For the Spring semester, transfer students will register in early November with the assistance of their department chair.

Can transfer students live on campus? 

Transfer students may live on or off campus, however, transfer students must meet one of the exemption requirements in order to live off campus:

  • Completed 60 transferable credits prior to matriculation to Shippensburg
  • Reside full-time within the home of their parents or legal guardians within 35 miles from campus based on driving directions
  • Is 21 years of age or older by the first day of the entering semester
  • Is legally married
  • Has a dependent child at home.

A list of rental properties in the Shippensburg area can be found through the Office of Commuter Services.

Can transfer students participate in athletics? 

Yes, provided the student-athlete meets NCAA eligibility requirements.

As a transfer student, I was instructed by my advisor to take UNIV 101. What is UNIV 101: SU First Year Seminar?

University 101 is a seminar for new students attending Shippensburg University designed to help students to strengthen their academic skills, learn about university programs and resources, and make connections with Shippensburg faculty and students. Transfer students will enroll in sections designed for transfer students that will help you to be successful and make the most of your time at Shippensburg University.

As a transfer student, is UNIV 101: SU First Year Seminar required?

University 101 is a required part of the general education curriculum and all students are required to complete the course in order to graduate. However, transfer students who are applying at least 30 credits towards their program of study at Shippensburg University are exempt from taking UNIV 101. Students who have already earned a bachelor's or associate's degree are also exempt. Students who have taken a comparable first year seminar at another institution can have that count towards their UNIV 101 requirement. Students who don't meet any of the exemption requirements will have to take UNIV 101. A student who can demonstrate that they have met the course learning objectives of UNIV 101 may request to have the requirement waived by completing the Request for Exemption from UNIV 101: Shippensburg University First Year Seminar Requirement.