At Shippensburg University, we care about the long-term success of our students inside and outside of our campus community. With this in mind, Shippensburg University created the Ship CARES team to make early contact with students experiencing challenges that impede their success during their time in college.
The Ship CARES team is led by Lorie Davis, Dean of Students at Shippensburg University. The ShipCARES team meets on a weekly basis to discuss the success of our students and different paths for individual students to become successful at Ship.
Upon referral to Ship CARES, the student will be contacted by a member of the ShipCARES team. The student may be asked to meet with either the Dean of Students or another member of the ShipCARES team to determine the best course of action for support. Additionally, individual cases may be brought to the ShipCARES weekly team meetings to be discussed among all stakeholders to ensure students are being guided toward receiving the appropriate support.
The following is a list of referral reasons:
- Regular or consecutive class absences
- Lessened quality or quantity of classwork
- Change in academic performance
- Student struggles to stay awake or pay attention in class
- Visible changes in hygiene or physical appearance
- Dramatic change in energy levels
- Signs of cutting, personal violence, or self-harm
- Known abuse of drugs and alcohol
- Expression of feelings of isolation or disconnection from peers
- Lack of responsiveness
- Threatening online postings
- Obsession with violence, death or suicidal ideations
- Regular or unusual financial difficulties
- Noticeable change in emotion due to family problems or difficulties