Password Policy & Complexity Requirements
Shippensburg University requires all users to have a complex password and requires that users change their password at least once every 90 days. This is to ensure account security for all employees and students.
Password minimum requirements:
- At least eight (8) characters in length
- May not contain significant portions of your username, first name or last name
- Must be changed at least once every 90 days
- Contain characters from at least three of the following four categories:
- English uppercase characters (A through Z)
- English lowercase characters (a through z)
- Numeric characters (0 through 9)
- Special/non-alphabetic, non-numeric characters (!, #, %, space character, etc.)
- Must not be the same as any previously used passwords
A suggestion for easily creating a strong password is to think in terms of a passphrase or short sentence using punctuation. The examples below are easy to remember but are strong as well. Please do not use any of these password examples. Treat these examples as guidelines only.
Forget 7-layer cake!
I heart my pet
Not having cake. #sadness
Managing your password
You can change or reset your password by visiting https://password.ship.edu.