Software access for students
For many students, access to program or course-specific software is critical for student success. Thus, the following resources are available for students who need access to software remotely.
Software available on your device
Many software vendors are now allowing open access to software that would typically only be available on campus workstations. Please see the list of available software packages below, along with link and instructions on how to obtain and install.
Mathematica software is used by many courses in Math, Computer Science and Physics.
MATLAB (including all available toolboxes) is available to faculty, staff, and students for installation on personal computers.
Office is provided to all Ship Students for free via the Office 365 program. Available for PC, Mac, iPad and other mobile devices!
Minitab is available for student use on a personal device. Follow the instructions below to download and install Minitab.
- Go to https://app.minitab.com.
- Enter your Ship e-mail address and click Next. You will be redirected to Ship's single sign-on page where you can enter your username and password.
- If prompted with a "Lets Get Started" screen and asked for your e-mail address again, enter it and click on Next.
- Click on Minitab Statistical Software under "My Products".
- From the screen that appears, you can choose to either open the Minitab Web App, or download and install the Desktop App.
Windows Installation Instructions
- Download the Minitab installer by following the instructions above.
- Begin the installation by double-clicking on the Minitab downloaded file.
- At the Welcome screen, choose a language and click Next.
- If you see a Prerequisites screen appear, click on Next and following all installation prompts.
- Review the license agreement, checkmark the "I accept..." box and click on Next.
- When prompted, select Activate with a license and click Next.
- From the “Select a licensing method” window, select Sign In and click Next.
- Click Next at the Destination folder screen.
- Click Install and complete the installation.
- After Minitab is installed, launch the program from the desktop shortcut that was created.
- At the "Sign In" screen, enter your Ship e-mail address and follow the prompts to log in with your Ship account. Minitab will now be activated and ready to use.
** Note that the download version of Minitab is only available for Windows. If you are using a Mac, you must use the Minitab Web App.
The NVivo qualitative data analysis software is available for faculty, staff and students to install on personal PCs and Macs.