Veterans Benefits

If you have any questions about your eligibility to receive your VA educational benefits, contact the School Certifying Officer at 717-477-1133 or via email at 

If you served at least two years of active duty, you may be eligible for the Montgomery GI Bill®-Active Duty (MGIB-AD) program. The program — sometimes referred to as Chapter 30 — provides up to 36 months of education benefits to qualifying Veterans and Service Members.


You may qualify for MGIB benefits if you received an honorable discharge; AND you earned a high school diploma or GED or in some cases 12 hours of college credit; AND you meet Category I, II, III, or IV requirements detailed here.


The monthly benefit paid to you is based on the type of training you take, length of your service, your category, any college fund eligibility, and if you contributed to the $600 Buy-Up Program while on active duty. You usually have 10 years to use your MGIB benefits, but the time limit can be fewer or more years depending on your situation. View rates for the latest Education Assistance Allowance here.

Transitioning to Ship

After accepting your admission to Shippensburg University, you will need to complete the following paperwork with our Veterans Affairs Coordinator for payment of MGIB benefits:

  • VA Form 22-1990, Application for VA Educational Benefits This form is used to apply for MGIB benefits. If you complete this application online, a copy of it must be give to our VA Coordinator.
  • VA Form DD-2384-1, Notice of Basic Eligibility (NOBE) — Eligible members of the Selective Reserve and National Guard can use this form to determine entitlement to receive MGIB benefits. If you are a Reservist or in the Guard, you need to obtain your NOBE from your assigned unit.

Other Forms for Reservists and Active-Duty Soldiers, Sailors, and Airmen

You must also present copies of the following forms, if applicable:

  • Kicker Contract — A Reservist from any branch of the service may be offered a Kicker. The Kicker is an additional amount of money that increases your monthly MGIB benefits, similar to the Buy-Up Program. Each branch establishes the qualifications for the Kicker, which is usually based on critical occupational specialties. You should obtain your Kicker contract from your assigned unit.
  • Form DD-214, Discharge Papers and Separation Documents— A report of separation is generally issued when you perform active duty or at least 90 consecutive days of active-duty training.

Once you meet with the VA Coordinator and complete the MGIB paperwork, you will have a profile located on for enrollment verification and payment of the MGIB. You also have the option of calling 1-888-442-4551 to complete the enrollment verification process for payment.

Additional Financial Aid

American Education Services/Pennsylvania Higher Education Assistance Agency (AES/PHEAA) may give Active-Duty (Chapter 30) and REAP (Chapter 1607) Veterans preference when applying for a PHEAA state grant after the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) has been filed. To apply, you must complete the FAFSA by May 1.

The Vocational Rehabilitation and Employment Program (Chapter 31) assists Veterans with service-connected disabilities to prepare for, find, and keep suitable jobs. Chapter 31 offers services to improve their ability to live as independently as possible.

The Post 9/11 GI Bill® (Chapter 33) provides payments for education and training. Under Chapter 33 you may be eligible to receive:

  • Tuition and fee payment sent directly to Ship
  • Monthly housing allowance sent to you
  • Books and supplies stipend sent to you

Regardless of Chapter or status, you should complete the FAFSA every year to apply for financial aid. Members of the National Guard or Reserves (Chapter 1606) are not defined as a Veteran if activated for training only.

Maintaining Your Eligibility

To maintain your eligibility for Veterans benefits and financial aid, an undergraduate must maintain a GPA of 1.7 as a freshman and a 2.0 as a sophomore, junior, and senior. As a graduate student, you must maintain a GPA of 3.0. If you are dismissed and reinstated to Ship through the appeal process, you may be eligible to continue to receive your VA educational benefits.

If you have any questions about your eligibility to receive your VA educational benefits, contact the School Certifying Officer at 717-477-1133 or via email at