Due to travel disruptions associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, the opportunity to study abroad continues to be closely monitored by the University. Students seeking information about overseas experiences in 2023 should contact Ms. Mary Burnett, Director of Global Engagement, firstname.lastname@example.org, for an advising appointment.
Studying abroad is an incredible opportunity for students to grow academically, professionally and personally while going on a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. These life-changing experiences also afford you freedom, independence and a chance to gain a variety of skills you will use throughout your life.
Studying abroad allows you to:
- Experience a foreign culture
Studying abroad allows you to participate in the day-to-day life in a new location, where you will gain first-hand understanding and a new appreciation of culture.
- Improve your second language skills
Even if you are already fluent in a second language, or study abroad in a country where English is the primary language spoken, you will have the opportunity to improve your existing skills or learn a new language.
- Increase your career options
Employers value prospective candidates with international experience, foreign language skills and the ability to communicate across cultures.
- Form new and rewarding relationships
Whether you're living with a host family or in a student residence, you will have the opportunity to form relationships with the people around you, which will make studying abroad more rewarding and help you to feel less homesick.
Where can I go?
Shippensburg University's Study Abroad Program offers you multiple opportunities with 16 schools in 10 countries around the globe, including short term study abroad programs. Students are also able to travel to other countries through several affiliate programs:
- Academic Programs International (API)
- American Institute for Foreign Studies (AIFS)
- Arcos Learning Abroad (Arcos)
- CAPA The Global Education Network (CAPA)
- Center for International Studies (CIS)
- Council on International Educational Exchange (CIEE)
- Cultural Experiences Abroad (CEA)
- International Studies Abroad (ISA)
- Travel and Education (T&E)