Federal Work Study
Federal Work-Study (FWS) provides job opportunities for undergraduate students who are eligible to participate in need-based programs. FWS student workers can work in various departments on campus to earn a paycheck. To be considered for Federal Work-Study, complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) and indicate on the FAFSA your interest in Federal Work-Study.
Federal Work-Study is offered on a first-come, first-served basis. This offer is subject to financial aid eligibility and demonstration of financial need.
- Interested students who do not receive a Federal Work-Study offer may contact the Financial Aid Office to add their name to the waitlist (pending the availability of funding).
Federal Work-Study Eligibility Requirememts
- Complete the FAFSA and meet the eligibility criteria.
- Answer "Yes" to the question, "Are you interested in work-study? on the FAFSA application.
- Have remaining financial need demonstrated through the FAFSA.
- Meet Satisfactory Academic Progress (SAP).
- FWS is offered for Fall and Spring terms only.
Federal Work-Study Notification
You can view your Federal Work-Study (FWS) offer by logging into your myShip portal. You must accept or decline your FWS offer. Once you accept your Federal Work-Study offer, in order to utilize it, you must apply for an open position on campus. Please read more details about applying below.
Work Study/Student Employment
Work-study programs provide part-time jobs on campus, and they are a great way to earn money. All positions are posted by the Career Center. To access it, follow these steps:
- Go to https://career.ship.edu
- Click on SHIP Career Connection (Handshake)
- Login using your SHIP e-mail and password.
To apply for on-campus student employment, you must upload a resume into Ship Career Connection. The Career, Mentoring, and Professional Development Center (CMPDC) has all kinds of useful information and resources to assist you with this process. For assistance with the Ship Career Connection or in developing your resume, contact the CMPDC at 717-477-1484 or email@example.com.
If you were awarded Federal Work Study (FWS) as part of your financial aid offer, you may apply for any open position on campus (those listed as FWS and those listed as On-Campus Student Employment). If you were not awarded FWS, you may only apply for positions listed as On-Campus Student Employment.
While a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) must be filed for FWS, it is not required for On-Campus Student Employment positions funded by Ship.
Before you begin working, you must complete the following steps for Student Payroll here.