Change of Name

Chosen Name          Legal Name

Chosen Name

Students may request to have a chosen name that differs from their legal name on certain University records and documents, and for other educational or professional purposes. Our name policy is available at

Students may add or update a chosen name by following the steps noted below.

  1. Log on to myShip using your SU e-mail address and password.
  2. Click on Personal Information
  3. You will be redirected to your Personal Information showing your Chosen Name.
  4. Review any current information.
  5. To add or make an update to a Chosen Name, click Edit in the top right corner of the Personal Details
  6. Make appropriate updates and click Update.

Legal Name

A request to change your name must be submitted to the Registrar’s office, by mail, fax, or in person. Please bring a copy of the court document reflecting your new name to support your request for the name change. Accepted court documents include a marriage certificate, divorce decree, or other court-ordered change of name.  Documents may be faxed to (717) 477-1388.  Questions may be directed to the Registrar's Office.