Shippensburg now uses Zoom as our syncronous tool. Zoom offers most of the same core features as Collaborate and a few new ones. For one, you can use Zoom independent of D2L Brightspace.
On 7/1/18 we are officially supporting Zoom as our synchronous learning tool. PASSHE selected Zoom for their ease of use and video & audio quality: not to mention their ability to support a variety of devices.
With Zoom, it's easy to:
- Conduct simple online HD video and audio sessions with students, other faculty, or anyone with a computer
- Run on-the-fly or scheduled presentations
- Record lectures for later playback
- Hold virtual office-hours
- Project a guest speaker in the classroom
- Perform live demonstrations in real time
- Collaborate on documents with your colleagues or external partners
- Share your screen
- Use a virtual whiteboard
- Chat with your students
- Allow you and your students to join meetings from phones and tablets
- and more!
Start Using Zoom Today!
You can start using Zoom in your classes right now. Just head over to ship.zoom.us. Click on "Sign In." It will load the single-sign-on page. Enter your SU credentials. This will create a Pro account for faculty and staff. You can read more about Pro accounts here. In order to get the full functionality of a Zoom meeting you will need to download a small app. This app doesn't require admin rights.
Here is some support material including a getting started guide, links to videos, and links out to Zoom's support pages.
Here is a Zoom User Training webinar recorded on March 27, 2018 with Katherine Smith, our Zoom rep. This training was open to all PASSHE schools. The agenda included Logging in, scheduling meetings in Outlook, Zoom mobile app, In-Meeting Controls, the basics of the web portal and desktop app. The webinar was broadcast and recorded using Zoom. Of course it's meta to host a webinar about webinar software. The whole thing is 01:14:11 long.
These sites provide easy access to product information, short video tutorials and user guides.
If you have any questions, please contact Ryan or Scott in IDWT | 717-477-1816 | firstname.lastname@example.org