Faculty and staff members play an important role in connecting students with Learning Center support services. Faculty and staff can consider the following steps to promote student engagement with the Learning Center:
- Help individual students schedule an appointment with the Learning Center. When you assist them with scheduling, you increase the likelihood that they will follow through.
- Refer students to the Learning Center by emailing or calling a Learning Center staff member.
- Embed the Learning Center web link, services and scheduling information in syllabi and D2L pages.
- Present the Learning website, services, and scheduling information in class, or request a representative to present the information for you.
- Speak favorably about the Learning Center by sharing your own experiences and the positive experiences of students who have used our services.
Please use the resources below to help you. Resources may change by semester. We encourage faculty to renew their materials by visiting this page each new semester.
Please complete the following survey if you would like a representative from the Learning Center to visit your class and lead a workshop or presentation.
Materials to Use or Distribute
Materials are still in the process of being updated.
- How to Schedule video
- How to Schedule information sheet (updated for Fall 2022)
- Learning Center Overview slideshow (Updated for Fall 2022)
- Learning Center poster (Updated for Fall 2022)
The Learning Center is the university's primary academic resource center and is available to all Ship students, free of charge. Learning Center staff and student workers help students develop skills, strategies, processes, and mindsets that enable them to become independent, active learners. Our primary services include course-based tutoring, writing tutoring, and Learning Specialist support, though the Learning Center also houses the Academic Improvement Program (AIM) and the Charting Your Success (CYS) program.
Course-based tutoring – The Learning Center offers course-based tutoring with trained peer tutors for most general education courses and many upper-level courses.
Writing tutoring – Writing tutoring with trained peer tutors is available to writers across all disciplines, at any stage of the writing process.
Learning Specialists – Learning Specialists are professional staff members who can help students develop better study strategies to fulfill their academic goals. While tutors help students with a specific course or assignment, Learning Specialists can help students to identify their strengths and areas of improvement and to transfer their skills, strategies, and processes across course contexts.