Ian M. Langella, PhD, CSSMBB
Finance & Supply Chain Management Department
Professor of Supply Chain Management
Office: Grove Hall 213
Phone: (717) 477-1470
Office Hours and Teaching Schedule
PhD - Management (Concentration in Operations Management) University of Magdeburg, Germany
MA - Management (Concentrations in International Management and Production & Operations Management) University of Magdeburg, Germany
BS - Major in Nautical Science. Minor in Physical Sciences Maine Maritime Academy, Castine, ME, USA.
- Teaches a plethora of classes here, from core classes on statistics and operations management, undergraduate classes on global logistics, procurement, and warehouse management, to graduate classes on business analysis, supply chain management, and procurement.
- Volunteers each semester for teaching evaluations and has more than 10 years of teaching evaluations documenting impressive performance across levels (grad and undergrad) and modalities (hybrid, online, face to face).
- Twice won the College of Business Teaching Award here, as well as twice receiving the university wide Teaching Innovation and Pedagogy Spotlight award. The most recent TIPS award was won as a tenured full professor for an undergraduate statistics class.
- One of the top cited professors at SU according to google scholar, whose research has been cited more than 1600 times.
- Authored or coauthored two books, and a consistent stream of peer reviewed journal publications.
- Routinely presents at scientific conferences, usually invited and sometimes chairing the session.
- Enjoys working with others and sharing, and thereby positively affecting accreditation for the entire college.
- Served for ten years (2013-2023) as the chair of the Department of Finance and Supply Chain Management, longer than any other faculty member in the college.
- Over his time at Ship has served and chaired many committees at the department, college, and university level. Recipient of the College of Business Service Award in 2017.
- Advisor for two student organizations, and mentors many students. Recipient of the Faculty Member of the Year award from the SU Students Association.
- Volunteers at a local food pantry, serves on its board, along with serving on another non-profit board in the community.
- Certified six sigma master black belt as well as accredited project manager certified who has supervised many industrial performance improvement projects with documented results.
- In the past two years, has successfully completed advanced training in data science, machine learning, and blockchain from SAP and IBM. Holds a plethora of IBM and SAP certifications, among them the IBM Data Science Professional Certificate and SAP Advanced Blockchain Train the Trainer Certificate.
- Completed MIT’s Supply Chain Analytics class in the summer of 2020.
- Has successfully conducted projects with Martin’s Potato Rolls, JLG, Harsco on supply chain management, and Volvo CE on lean six sigma.
- Most recently, was one of the lead instructors for the Letterkenny Army Depot Project Management Training project.