Ian M. Langella, PhD, CSSMBB
Chair, Finance & Supply Chain Management Department
Professor of Supply Chain Management
Office: Grove Hall 228
Phone: (717) 477-1434
Office Hours and Teaching Schedule
PhD - Management (Concentration in Operations Management) University of Magdeburg, Germany
MA - Management (Concentrations in International Management and Production & Operations Management) University of Magdeburg, Germany
BS - Major in Nautical Science. Minor in Physical Sciences Maine Maritime Academy, Castine, ME, USA.
- I have taught a plethora of classes here, from core classes on statistics and operations management, undergraduate classes on global logistics, procurement, and warehouse management, to graduate classes on business analysis, supply chain management, and procurement.
- I volunteer each semester for teaching evaluations and have more than 10 years of teaching evaluations documenting impressive performance across levels (grad and undergrad) and modalities (hybrid, online, face to face).
- I have twice won the College of Business Teaching Award in my time here, as well as twice receiving the university wide Teaching Innovation and Pedagogy Spotlight award. The most recent TIPS award I won as a full professor for an undergraduate statistics class.
- I am one of the top cited professors at SU according to google scholar, number five at the moment. My research has been cited more than 1300 times.
- I have authored or coauthored two books, and a consistent stream of peer reviewed journal publications. I routinely present at the best conferences in our field, usually invited and sometimes chairing the session.
- I enjoy working with others and sharing, and thereby positively affect accreditation for the entire college.
- I have served for the last nine years as the chair of the Department of Finance and Supply Chain Management. I am the longest serving chair in the College of Business at the moment.
- Over my time at Ship I have served and chaired many committees at the department, college, and university level. I won the College of Business Service Award in 2017.
- I am the advisor for two student organizations, and mentor many students. I have won the Faculty Member of the Year award from the SU Students Association.
- I volunteer at a local food pantry, serve on its board, along with serving on another non profit board in the community.
- I am a certified six sigma master black belt and have supervised many industrial performance improvement projects with documented results.
- In the past two years, I have successfully completed advanced training in data science, machine learning, and blockchain from SAP and IBM. For instance, I hold IBM’s Data Science Professional Certificate and SAP Advanced Blockchain Train the Trainer Certificate.
- I completed MIT’s Supply Chain Analytics class in the summer of 2020.
Executive Education and Management Consulting
- I have successfully conducted projects with Martin’s Potato Rolls, JLG, Harsco on supply chain management, and Volvo CE on lean six sigma.
- Most recently, I was one of the lead instructors for the Letterkenny Army Depot Project Management Training project.
- College of Business
- Academic Departments
- Undergraduate Degrees and Programs
- Graduate Degrees and Programs
- Student Information
- Faculty & Staff
- Business News, Events & Highlights
- Study Abroad
- Business Internship Program
- Charles H. Diller Jr. Center for Entrepreneurial Leadership and Innovation
- The Journal of Business Disciplines
- Small Business Development Center
- Make a Gift
- Contact Us