Graduate Housing

Shippensburg University offers campus housing in Mowrey Hall for graduate students without high costs and with the independence offered from off-campus living.

Differential policies for graduate housing include:

  • open visitation
  • alcohol permitted
  • no meal plan requirement

View a floor plan and room layout.


Arrival Schedule

Fall 2022  Friday, August 12th 12 pm-4pm – Mowrey Hall (Early Arrival)

Housing and Residence Life will coordinate and communicate all move-in and move-out dates by semester. Housing is available during all breaks during the academic year; students are not required to move out during fall, Thanksgiving, winter, or spring break.  Students cannot leave items in the graduate housing assignment over the summer if they are not actively working or attending classes on campus, even if they are returning for the fall semester. Students have the ability to break from their agreement at any time without penalty. If students are interested in leaving Graduate Housing, they must complete a check-out with the residence life staff.  They will complete an RCR (room condition report), withdrawal from residence hall form, and turn in their room key to the Resident Director of Mowrey Hall.  They will also turn in the mailbox key to the CUB UPS center.

How do I sign up for Graduate Housing?

Incoming students confirm housing through the Admission confirmation process. Current students confirm housing in the MyHousing portal through the myShip account.

What amenities does Graduate Housing offer?

Graduate housing provides a private, furnished room; access to a common kitchen; communal bathrooms; and study lounge; and an open visitation policy. Alcohol is permitted and a meal plan is not required.

What is the pet policy for Mowrey Graduate Housing?

Graduate students living in Mowrey Hall are permitted to have 1 pet registered to their room. The pet can be registered by filling out this form: Mowrey Grad Housing Pet Registration. Residents must take full responsibility for their pet, including but not limited to, maintaining up-to-date shots and vaccinations, pet behavior, cleanliness of the living space and any damages to the living space. If any damages occur, residents may be responsible for paying any associated fees for cleaning, painting, or replacement of furnishings in the room. If a pet is a nuisance in the community, the residents will address it and take responsibility. Residents are responsible for cleaning up pet waste and disposing it properly outside of Mowrey Hall. Pets will not create a burden for the building custodians or grounds crews that work for the Facilities Department. Pets must be accompanied in the community and/or when outside the building. Housing and Residence Life may ask residents to remove a pet if extensive community issues are present as a result of the pet, or if damages are taking place in the room or community.

Why should I live on campus?

You are within walking distance to all of Ship’s resources: fourteen dining options on campus offer a wide range of cuisine, including Starbucks and Dunkin’ Donuts; a free bike share program; the 13 mile multi-use Cumberland Valley rail trail; and a modern ShipRec student recreation facility (fee applies).

Can my partner/children live with me?

No, there is currently no policy supporting cohabitation or family housing.

When can I move in? When can I move out?

Housing and Residence Life will coordinate and communicate all move-in and move-out dates by semester. Housing is available during all breaks; students are not required to move out during breaks. Students have the ability to break from their agreement at any time without penalty. If students are interested in leaving Graduate Housing, they must request to be released from the housing agreement by filling out the appropriate form.

What is provided in a room?

Mowrey Hall has double rooms but Graduate Housing offers single occupancy in each room. All rooms have two standard twin beds, two desks, two chairs, two built in closets, and two built in dressers.

What is not provided in a room?

Mowrey does not have air conditioning. Students may provide their own Energy Star approved window unit and Shippensburg University staff will install the unit at no cost. Students can request the installation of their air conditioning unit through Housing and Residence Life. A microwave and refrigerator are not provided by the university, but there is a full kitchen on the floor for all graduate students to share.

Where can I park?

A student parking pass costs $75 for the year, and parking is near the residence hall. There are dedicated lots.

Can I have a Graduate Assistantship and do the work option for housing?

Yes, you can have a graduate assistantship as well as a work option placement to help offset the cost of housing. You will be responsible for fulfilling the requirements of a Graduate Assistantship and the requirements of a work option for housing. The graduate housing work option is not a GA position and they operate differently. Please contact Graduate Admissions with any questions.

How do I get a work option placement for Graduate Housing?

Email Bill Yost for more information at:

Where can I work for the work option to help offset the cost of housing?

Work options include:

  • Career, Mentoring, and Professional Development Center
  • Communications/Marketing
  • Early Alert Assistance
  • Enrollment Management
  • First Generation Student Services
  • First Year Pilot Program Mentors
  • FYE Assistance/Mentors
  • Housing/Residence Life
  • LGBTQ+ Services
  • Living/Learning Mentors
  • Student Success
  • Veterans Services

How will Graduate Housing be applied to my bill?

If you are paying to live on campus, Graduate Admissions or Housing and Residence Life will notify Student Accounts, and a housing charge will be placed on your account at the beginning of the term or whenever you move in. If you are choosing the work opportunity, Graduate Admissions will notify Student Accounts to place a “housing waiver” on your account.