Professional Bookkeeping Certification Preparation
Do you want to expand your professional skills, get more recognition as an accounting professional, improve your market value as a CPA, or completely start a new career?
Register for this program today and start on the path to obtaining your Bookkeeping Certification through the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB).
- What: A 72-hour flexible online course with an accounting professional that can be completed in 12 weeks or less.
- Dates: Guided self-paced course
- Cost: $1,699 (Cost includes all instruction and one attempt for the national certification exam.)
Why Become a Certified Bookkeeper?
According to a 2019 survey of Certified Bookkeepers (CBs) by Lewis & Clark, Raleigh, NC:
- 90% of CBs recommend certification
- 49% of employed CBs say that certification enhanced their standing with their employer.
- 54% of CBs have gotten a new job, been promoted, or been given higher-level responsibilities since being certified; 84.3% of those say certification was important to their new status.
- 59% of CBs received a raise after becoming certified; 75.5% say certification was important in getting the raise.
- 61% say that they gained new knowledge while preparing for certification; 55% say preparing for certification filled in gaps in their knowledge.
- 37% of freelance CBs say certification helped get new clients; 48% of them say they have raised their rates since being certified.
- 82% of freelance CBs say that they have used their certification for marketing purposes.
- Understand basic accounting terminology.
- Identify the differences between the cash and accrual accounting methods.
- Understand accounts payable and accounts receivable.
- Use a journal and general ledger to document business financials.
- Utilize the balance sheet.
- Identify different types of financial statements.
- Uncover the reasons for and create a budget.
- Be familiar with internal and external auditing.
- Master adjusting entries, inventory, correcting accounting errors, and payroll for different types of employees.
- Understand and account for depreciation.
- Understand and implement internal controls and fraud prevention.
Certification Requirements*To earn your official certification, candidates must pass a 4-part national examination, including 2 parts given at any Prometric Test Center (in Harrisburg, as a class).
*Shippensburg University does not issue the Bookkeeping Certification. The Bookkeeping Certification is issued by the American Institute of Professional Bookkeepers (AIPB). Upon successful completion of this course, Shippensburg University will issue a preparation course certification.