Skip to main content
Jump to Footer

Graduate transfer student & transfer of course credit

Graduate students currently attending another graduate institution and wish to transfer to SHIP must first apply as a Graduate Degree seeking student. You must complete the application, provide transcripts from all undergraduate and graduate degree institutions, and provide any supplemental document requirements. During the application review process we will review your graduate transcripts for possible transfer of credit. SHIP will transfer a maximum of 9 credits towards any degree program. If you are a currently enrolled student with questions scroll down to view your policy procedures.

Transfer Credit Policy

New students:

Students who are not currently enrolled at SHIP (incoming applicants) should follow the below policy. 

For a course to be eligible for transfer into a graduate program at SHIP it must meet the following requirements:

  • The credit must have been awarded by a regionally accredited institution
  • The course(s) must be part of a graduate degree program at the sponsoring institution and must be appropriate for the student's program at Shippensburg University
  • Course(s) must be listed on an official graduate transcript with a final grade of B or better 
  • Credit must have been earned less than 5 years prior to the date you begin your graduate program at Shippensburg. Courses older than 5 years do not qualify for transfer.
  • Non-college educational experiences do not qualify for transfer credit.
Currently Enrolled students:

Students who are currently attending Shippensburg University and wish to take graduate courses elsewhere for transfer credit must do the following. Please note that a maximum of 9 credits may be transferred to Ship.

  1. Gather information on the course(s) you wish to take including;
    1. Course title and Course number, and
    2. Graduate Catalogue description of the course
  2. Discuss the course with your Graduate Academic Advisor. The Advisor must review and determine if the course(s) are appropriate for your program and provide you with their written approval. You may be required to provide a copy of the syllabus of the course you wish to transfer.  
  3. Your Graduate Academic Advisor will then email their written approval to the Graduate Dean/Assistant Dean with the course title, name, and catalogue description. 
  4. The Graduate Dean's Office will provide you with an approval letter to ensure transfer of credit will be granted
  5. You may then register for the approved course(s) through the approved institution.
  6. Once you have completed the course you must provide Shippensburg University with an official transcript that shows the course has been completed with a grade of B or better.
  7. If all conditions have been met the course will be added as transfer credit to your academic record. Transfer courses are not included in determining your quality point average.

If you have questions, contact the Graduate School at