Curriculum and Instruction, Middle School with Certification, MEd
The Curriculum and Instruction, Middle School with Certification, MEd program fosters teacher growth through exploration of standards, principles, technology and culturally responsive practices.
What Will I Learn?
Core courses emphasize effective teaching and being culturally responsive in a digital age. Core program requirements are broken down into four main areas:
- Curriculum and Assessment
- Effective Teaching and Leadership
- The Learner
- Focus on Research
Beyond that, there are courses geared toward middle school certification.
Field hours provide increased experience with children in an educational setting. Responsibilities include providing instruction using educational strategies and techniques, taking on leadership roles within the school environment and working with dedicated professionals in the field.
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have?
Ship is an excellent place to study to become a teacher because of the opportunities to:
- Observe classes in elementary, secondary and community college settings
- Observe physically challenged and exceptional learners
- Take part in student teaching
- Participate in student groups that complement the academic experience
- Receive personalized attention and advisement from experienced professors
There are also opportunities unique to Ship through:
- Grace B. Luhrs University Elementary School – The school provides a unique opportunity to observe and participate in elementary school activities and classroom teaching experiences with children in kindergarten through fifth grade. Ship is the only university in Pennsylvania with an on-campus public elementary lab school.
- Bartos Child and Family Center – The center is adjacent to the lab school provides opportunities to observe and work with children ages one through five.
- Head Start – This program on campus provides more opportunities for observations and to work with children.
There are also plenty of opportunities to conduct and present research during your time at Shippensburg University.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
The ever-evolving field of curriculum and instruction needs qualified professionals educated in the best way to educate students and increase student achievement due to how quickly the world is changing. This program will help you learn the skills to enhance your current teaching position or move into administrative or leadership positions.