Pennsylvania State System Student Transfer Policy
The Student Transfer Policy is designed to promote the transfer of students from Pennsylvania community colleges to Shippensburg University and to support the transfer of undergraduate courses earned by students at other PA State System of Higher Education institutions. This encourages a seamless transfer for students into the University without unnecessary repetition of learning that has already been completed at another institution. Your coursework is applicable to the policy if you earned an Associate of Arts or an Associate of Science degree at one of the following community colleges or are an incumbent student of a State System institution with a 2.0 GPA or above.
At Shippensburg University, Policy Privileges are applied to the following institutions:
- Any of the universities in the Pennsylvania State System of Higher Education
- Allegany College of Maryland (PA/MD)
- Bucks County Community College (PA)
- Butler County Community College (PA)
- Carroll Community College (MD)
- Community College of Allegheny County (PA)
- Community College of Beaver County (PA)
- Community College of Philadelphia (PA)
- Delaware County Community College (PA)
- Frederick Community College (MD)
- Harrisburg Area Community College (PA)
- Hagerstown Community College (MD)
- Howard Community College (MD)
- Lackawanna College (PA)
- Lehigh Carbon Community College (PA)
- Luzerne County Community College (PA)
- Middlesex County Community College (PA)
- Montgomery County Community College (PA)
- Northampton Community College (PA)
- Pennsylvania Highlands Community College (PA)
- Raritan Valley Community College (NJ)
- Reading Area Community College (PA)
- Westmoreland County Community College (PA)
Provisions provided under the PASSHE Student Transfer Policy
All college-level credits from regionally accredited institutions will be accepted in transfer, regardless of how the prior learning was acquired. The intent of this policy is to maximize the application of college-level credits awarded by regionally accredited institutions.
Shippensburg University will first apply as many college-level credits as possible toward the satisfaction of general education requirements, then to requirements in the major and finally to elective credits. A course by course match will not be required for general education courses. Vocational, technical and career courses may fulfill major curricular requirements or credits required for graduation in specific programs. Developmental and remedial coursework will not transfer.
1. Students transferring with an Associate Degree
a) Admission to a State System university is guaranteed within the established university time frame for undergraduate students transferring from a Pennsylvania Community College with an Associate degree in an identified or a parallel P2P agreement, but not to specific major or degree programs. The requirements for admission to an academic program will be the same for native and transfer students. Students will receive junior standing. Exceptions such as Dismissal from a Previous Institution for Disciplinary Reasons, will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
2. Students transferring from a State System University
a) Admission to a State System university within the established university time frame is guaranteed for undergraduate students transferring from one State System University to another State System University with at least 12 credits and a 2.0 GPA or above, but not to specific major or degree programs. The requirements for admission to an academic program will be the same for native and transfer students. Exceptions such as Dismissal from a Previous Institution for Disciplinary Reasons will be handled on a case-by-case basis.
b) Students transferring to Shippensburg University from another State System Institution who have completed their general education program will have their general education requirements met at Shippensburg University unless their program has unique, specific general education requirements.
3. Students Transferring without an Associate Degree
a) Pennsylvania community college students who seek to transfer WITHOUT a degree may apply to and be accepted by Shippensburg University.
b) Students seeking to transfer course credits without the completed A.S. or A.A. degree must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0 in all coursework presented for transfer for each institution attended. Capacity limits and/or higher admissions standards may apply to certain high demand.
c) For students that have transferred from a PA community college without having earned their associate degree may be eligible to earn an A.A. or A.S. from their sending institution through Reverse Transfer. Credits earned while working toward their bachelor degree will be sent to the PA Community College for evaluation for possible credit towards the completion of the associate degree requirements.
4. Students from Pennsylvania community colleges and State System universities may transfer credits in courses where the grade of "D" is earned only if the student has an overall GPA of 2.0 or higher from each institution attended. Some academic programs at Shippensburg University may require the student to repeat certain courses in which a "D" grade was earned.