Frequently Asked Questions from Transfer Students

How many credits should I complete before transferring?

You may transfer at any time. However, if you transfer with less than 12 college-level credits, your admission is based upon your high school GPA, high school class rank and cumulative college GPA. If you transfer with more than 12 credits, the admission decision is based on your college GPA.

What courses can I take at a community college to transfer to Ship?

Courses from most community colleges will transfer. Before registering at another college, you should contact the Transfer Coordinator in the Office of Admissions who can assist you in selecting courses that will transfer toward your Bachelor's Degree.

How many credits can I transfer to Shippensburg University?

A minimum of 30 credits must be completed at Shippensburg University to be awarded a Bachelor's Degree. Typically, only those credits needed in the degree program will transfer.

When will I know how many credits transfer?

After you are accepted, your transcripts are sent to the college that houses your major for final evaluation. You will receive a copy of your major curriculum and your transcript evaluation by mail from that college.

Do grades of 'D' transfer? 

Only grades of 'C' or better transfer though some exceptions are made for students who qualify for the PA Student Transfer Policy.

When can I meet with an admissions counselor to discuss the transfer process?

Shippensburg Admissions Counselors visit most community colleges in Pennsylvania and Maryland each semester.

If you attend a community college, please contact your Transfer Office for more information about Shippensburg or visit a Counselor when he or she visits your college.

If you are transferring from a college or university not listed or are unable to visit with an Admissions representative at one of the scheduled times, please contact the Office of Admissions for a phone appointment or campus visit.

When will I be assigned an advisor? 

You will meet with an advisor during Orientation to register for your fall classes, only after you have confirmed through the Office of Admissions.  In the fall, you will be assigned your advisor for future semesters.

Do transfer students attend Orientation? 

Transfer students attend a one-day Orientation in June designed to meet their needs and to answer questions specific to transfer issues. Students will also develop their fall class schedule.

When do I register for the classes? 

You will register for your fall classes during the one-day Orientation in June. If you are not able to attend orientation or you confirm your admissions after Orientation, your major department will register you for 12 credits in your major; you will be allowed to schedule an additional course and adjust your schedule during the week before the start of the semester (during orientation/welcome week). Courses may also be added and/or dropped during the add/drop time period for the semester. With the aid of your advisor, you will schedule yourself for the following semester's courses. 

Can transfer students live on campus? 

Transfer students may live on or off campus, however, transfer students must have more than 60 transferable credits in order to live off campus. A list of rental properties in the Shippensburg area can be found through the Office of Commuter Services.

Can transfer students participate in athletics? 

Yes, provided the student-athlete meets NCAA eligibility requirements.

As a transfer student, I was instructed by my advisor to take UNIV 101. What is UNIV 101: SU First Year Seminar?

University 101 is a seminar for new students attending Shippensburg University designed to help students to strengthen their academic skills, learn about university programs and resources, and make connections with Shippensburg faculty and students. Transfer students will enroll in sections designed for transfer students that will help you to be successful and make the most of your time at Shippensburg University.

As a transfer student, is UNIV 101: SU First Year Seminar required?

University 101 is a required part of the general education curriculum and all students are required to complete the course in order to graduate. However, transfer students who are applying at least 30 credits towards their program of study at Shippensburg University are exempt from taking UNIV 101. Students who have already earned a bachelor's or associate's degree are also exempt. Students who have taken a comparable first year seminar at another institution can have that count towards their UNIV 101 requirement. Students who don't meet any of the exemption requirements will have to take UNIV 101. A student who can demonstrate that they have met the course learning objectives of UNIV 101 may request to have the requirement waived by completing the Request for Exemption from UNIV 101: Shippensburg University First Year Seminar Requirement.