Jobs & Internships: Ecology, Environment and Conservation
Below you will find links to various websites that list job and internship opportunities. It includes links to Pennsylvania state agencies, federal agencies, scientific societies, non-profit organizations, and university career sites. Some of these sites also list graduate education opportunities.
- Shippensburg University's Career and Community Engagement Center can help you with application processes, interviewing skills, resume writing, grad school information, and much more.
- Internships may also be called summer employment or student positions.
- Many internships are volunteer positions; the pay is in the skills that you develop.
- There are also several links to grad school information and advice.
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection: Jobs and internships
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources:
- Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission: Job and internship information
- Pennsylvania Game Commission: Jobs and internships
- PA Employment: PA state government job and internship information
- USA JOBS: Search for federal jobs by keywords or state, includes summer positions
- USA JOBS Pathways Program: Federal internship and employment opportunities for current students and recent graduates
- United States Department of the Interior: Jobs and internships
- United States Geological Survey: Jobs and internships. In spite of the name, the USGS hires a lot of biologists
- United States Environmental Protection Agency: Jobs and student internships and fellowships.
- United States Forest Service: Internships and career opportunities
- Natural Resources Conservation Service: Careers and opportunities for students and recent graduates
Other University Job Bards
- Texas A&M Dept of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Environmental Sciences: Jobs, internships, and graduate school opportunities from a wide range of state and federal agencies, companies, and universities. This site is considered by many to be one of the best sources of opportunities
- Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, University of Georgia: Wildlife, forestry, and environmental jobs
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies: Links to job searching resources for finding both general environmental jobs and specific types of environmental jobs
Research Opportunities for Undergraduates (REU)
- The National Science Foundation funds a large number of summer research opportunities for undergraduate students through its Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program. The REU program provides a unique experience for a student to become involved in a scientific research project.
- Students apply directly to REU sites around the country (there are also some international sites). Students are granted stipends and, in many cases, assistance with housing and travel.
- For a list of REU sites, visit the NSF REU website.
Societies, Associations, and Other Resources
- Stroud Water Research Center: Internships, jobs, and opportunities for students interested in working with streams and rivers
- Conservation and Land Management Internship Program: Places recent college graduates in five-month paid internships to assist biologists and other professional staff at various federal agencies
- Botanical Society of America: Job and internship opportunities for students interested in botany
- Student Conservation Association: Summer internship and volunteer opportunities around the country
- Society for Conservation Biology: Postings of various companies with job opportunities in conservation science
- Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation: Herpetology jobs and internships
- The Nature Conservancy:
- American Fisheries Society: Job in the fisheries sciences
- The Wildlife Society Job Board: Jobs, internships, graduate assistantships in wildlife biology
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation: Employment and internship opportunities
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center: Internship and job opportunities
- Sea Grant's Marine Information: Information for marine careers, and related links for internships and employment opportunities
- Society for Ecological Restoration: Job listings
- American Conservation Experience: A non-profit organization that provides environmental service opportunities for youth, young adults, and emerging professionals
- Green Corps: A paid one-year training program that focuses on environmental community organizing
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Jobs in Geographic Information Systems
- EE Pro: Jobs in environmental education
- Green Dream Jobs: "Green" jobs
- Conservation Job Board: Conservation jobs in the US and internationally
- Indeed: Indeed.com is a job search engine where you can search by job title and/or location
- ZipRecruiter: a job search engine where you can search by job title and/or location
- ECOJobs: Environmental career and internship opportunities
- Environmental Career: Job and internship listings.
- Student Central: Numerous job opportunities in the public and private sectors, requires you to register and log-in
- You can subscribe to the Ecological Society of America’s listserv to receive a steady stream of e-mails, including job, internships, and graduate assistantship opportunities
- Find more information and subscribe here