Jobs & Internships: Ecology and Environmental Biology
Below you will find links to various websites that list job and internship opportunities. It includes links to Pennsylvania state agencies, federal agencies, scientific societies, non-profit organizations, and university career sites. Some of these sites also list graduate education opportunities.
- Shippensburg University's Career and Community Engagement Center can help you with application processes, interviewing skills, resume writing, grad school information, and much more.
- Internships may also be called summer employment or student positions.
- Many internships are volunteer positions; the pay is in the skills that you develop.
- There are also several links to grad school information and advice.
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection: Jobs and internships.
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources: Jobs, internships, and volunteer positions (scroll to the bottom of the page, look under Employment).
- Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission: Job and internship information.
- Pennsylvania Game Commission: Jobs and internships.
- PA Employment: Lists state government jobs and internships available in PA and how to apply for them.
- USA JOBS: Search for federal jobs by keywords or state, includes summer positions.
- USA JOBS Pathways Program: Federal internship and employment opportunities for current students and recent graduates.
- United States Department of the Interior: Jobs and internships.
- United States Geological Survey: Jobs and internships. In spite of the name, the USGS hires a lot of biologists.
- United States Environmental Protection Agency: Jobs and student internships and fellowships.
- United States Forest Service: Internships and career opportunities.
- Natural Resources Conservation Service: Careers and opportunities for students and recent graduates.
Other University Search Pages
- Texas A&M Dept of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Environmental Sciences: Jobs, internships graduate school opportunities. This site is considered by many to be one of the best sources of opportunities.
- Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, University of Georgia: Wildlife/Forestry/Environmental jobs.
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies: Link to sites with environmental employment opportunities.
Research Opportunities for Undergraduates (REU)
- The National Science Foundation funds a large number of summer research opportunities for undergraduate students through its Research Opportunity for Undergraduates (REU) program. The REU program provides a unique experience for a student to become involved in a scientific research project.
- Students apply directly to REU sites around the country (there are also some international sites). Students are granted stipends and, in many cases, assistance with housing and travel.
- For a list of REU sites, visit the NSF REU website.
Societies, Associations, and Other Resources (in no particular order)
- Conservation and Land Management Internship Program: Places recent college graduates in five-month paid internships to assist biologists and other professional staff at various federal agencies.
- Future Park Leaders of Emerging Change: Paid internships to work in one of the nation’s national parks for 12 weeks on projects related to natural and cultural resource conservation, park infrastructure, policy development, interpretation and education.
- Botanical Society of America: Job and internship opportunities in the field of plant sciences
- Student Conservation Association: Summer internship and volunteer opportunities around the country.
- Society for Conservation Biology: Postings of various companies with job opportunities in conservation science.
- Ecological Society of America Internship Opportunities: Internships.
- Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation: Herpetology jobs and internships.
- The Nature Conservancy: Employment opportunities page. Volunteer opportunities.
- American Society of Limnology and Oceanography: Click on Employment to see job announcements and student opportunities.
- American Fisheries Society: Job and graduate school opportunity listings and links.
- The Wildlife Society Job Board: Jobs, internships, graduate assistantships in wildlife biology.
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation: Employment and internship opportunities.
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center: Internship and job opportunities.
- Sea Grant's Marine Information: Information for marine careers, and related links for internships and employment opportunities.
- Society for Ecological Restoration: Job listings.
- American Conservation Experience: A non-profit organization that provides a range of voluntary service programs.
- Green Corps: College graduates can apply for a paid year long training session that advances your career in the environmental leadership area.
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Listing of jobs involving Geographic Information Systems
- EE Pro: Jobs in environmental education.
- Green Dream Jobs: "Green" jobs listings.
- Conservation Job Board: Just what the name says.
- National Registry of Environmental Professionals: Job opportunities.
- Indeed Jobs: Indeed.com is a job search engine where you can search by job title and/or location.
- ZipRecruiter: a job search engine where you can search by job title and/or location
- Environmental Career Opportunities: Environmental career and internship opportunities.
- Environmental Careers: Job and internship listings.
- Student Central: You will have to register and log-in, but it has numerous job opportunities in the public and private sectors.
- If you don’t mind sorting through numerous e-mails, you can subscribe to the Ecological Society of America’s listserv. You will receive a steady stream of e-mails, including job, internships, and graduate assistantship opportunities.
- Visit https://listserv.umd.edu/cgi-bin/wa?A0=ecolog-l&D=0&H=0&O=T&T=1 for information and to subscribe.