Jobs & Internships in Ecology, Environment, and Conservation
Below you will find links to various websites that list job and internship opportunities. It includes links to Pennsylvania state agencies, federal agencies, scientific societies, non-profit organizations, and university career sites. Some of these sites also list graduate education opportunities.
- Shippensburg University's Career and Community Engagement Center can help you with application processes, interviewing skills, resume writing, grad school information, and much more.
- Internships may also be called summer employment or student positions.
- Internships can be paid or volunteer positions
- There are also several links to grad school information and advice.
- Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection: Jobs and internships
- Pennsylvania Department of Conservation and Natural Resources:
- Pennsylvania Fish and Boat Commission: Job and internship information
- Pennsylvania Game Commission: Jobs and internships
- PA Employment: PA state government job and internship information
- USA JOBS: Search for federal jobs by keywords or state, includes summer positions
- USA JOBS Pathways Program: Federal internship and employment opportunities for current students and recent graduates
- United States Department of the Interior: Jobs and internships
- United States Geological Survey: Jobs and internships. In spite of the name, the USGS hires a lot of biologists
- United States Environmental Protection Agency: Jobs and student internships and fellowships.
- United States Forest Service: Internships and career opportunities
- Natural Resources Conservation Service: Careers and opportunities for students and recent graduates
Other University Job Bards
Cooperative Institute for Research in Environmental Sciences at the University of Colorado Boulder https://cires.colorado.edu/jobs
- Texas A&M Dept of Wildlife, Fisheries, and Environmental Sciences: Jobs, internships, and graduate school opportunities from a wide range of state and federal agencies, companies, and universities. This site is considered by many to be one of the best sources of opportunities
- Warnell School of Forestry and Natural Resources, University of Georgia: Wildlife, forestry, and environmental jobs
- Yale School of Forestry and Environmental Studies: Links to job searching resources for finding both general environmental jobs and specific types of environmental jobs
Research Opportunities for Undergraduates (REU)
- The National Science Foundation funds a large number of summer research opportunities for undergraduate students through its Research Experiences for Undergraduates (REU) program. The REU program provides a unique experience for a student to become involved in a scientific research project.
- Students apply directly to REU sites around the country (there are also some international sites). Students are granted stipends and, in many cases, assistance with housing and travel.
- For a list of REU sites, visit the NSF REU website.
Societies, Associations, and Other Resources
- Stroud Water Research Center: Internships, jobs, and opportunities for students interested in working with streams and rivers
- Conservation and Land Management Internship Program: Places recent college graduates in five-month paid internships to assist biologists and other professional staff at various federal agencies
- Botanical Society of America: Job and internship opportunities for students interested in botany
- Student Conservation Association: Summer internship and volunteer opportunities around the country
- Society for Conservation Biology: Postings of various companies with job opportunities in conservation science
- Partners in Amphibian and Reptile Conservation: Herpetology jobs and internships
- The Nature Conservancy:
- American Fisheries Society: Job in the fisheries sciences
- The Wildlife Society Job Board: Jobs, internships, graduate assistantships in wildlife biology
- Chesapeake Bay Foundation: Employment and internship opportunities
- Smithsonian Environmental Research Center: Internship and job opportunities
- Sea Grant's Marine Information: Information for marine careers, and related links for internships and employment opportunities
- Society for Ecological Restoration: Job listings
- American Conservation Experience: A non-profit organization that provides environmental service opportunities for youth, young adults, and emerging professionals
- Green Corps: A paid one-year training program that focuses on environmental community organizing
- GIS Jobs Clearinghouse: Jobs in Geographic Information Systems
- EE Pro: Jobs in environmental education
- Green Dream Jobs: "Green" jobs
- Conservation Job Board: Conservation jobs in the US and internationally
- Indeed: Indeed.com is a job search engine where you can search by job title and/or location
- ZipRecruiter: a job search engine where you can search by job title and/or location
- ECOJobs: Environmental career and internship opportunities
- Environmental Career: Job and internship listings.
- Student Central: Numerous job opportunities in the public and private sectors, requires you to register and log-in
- You can subscribe to the Ecological Society of America’s listserv to receive a steady stream of e-mails, including job, internships, and graduate assistantship opportunities
- Find more information and subscribe here