Admission to the Special Education Program is a process requiring application materials, credentials, references, an on-campus interview and a writing sample. Students are encouraged to begin this process six months before they begin classes. Interviews are conducted three times per year.
Applicants for admission to any area of specialization must meet the requirements for the Special Education Program in addition to the general requirements for admission to graduate study including:
- Prior certification in Education (or are in progress of acquiring one) for admission to the Comprehensive Certification program. All candidates seeking certification in Special Education are required to obtain a second Pennsylvania teaching certification prior to completion of the program
- Bachelor's Degree from a regionally accredited college or university.
- Official transcript showing at least a 2.75 cumulative grade point average for undergraduate studies. (Those who do not qualify will be required to take either the Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or the Miller Analogies Test (MAT) prior to admission. Conditions for continuance in the program may be made at time of admission.)
- Relevant experience working with individuals with disabilities and demonstrate dispositions appropriate to respectfully collaborating with others.
Each applicant will be required to:
- Appear for an interview with Special Education faculty. Faculty interviewing the candidate will make observations relating to: experience in the field, maturity, career goals and appropriateness of our program for these goals.
- Collaborate with faculty to develop a plan to meet specific requirements for full admission to the program (e.g., providing clearances, evidence of prior certification/requirements).
- Respond to a writing prompt at the time of the interview to demonstrate ability to write clearly and logically.
- Agree to a program of study developed during the interview process and sign a memorandum of understanding that changes in state regulations could impact degree requirements.
- Submit three references.
- Fill out a questionnaire about his/her background and goals for the future.
- Submit a current resume.
Students will be provisionally approved until they provide evidence that the following are on file with the Office of Field Studies:
- Pennsylvania Police Clearances
- FBI Child Abuse
- Pennsylvania Teaching Certification
- Passing Praxis I and Praxis II scores