Incoming Students Q and A

I've been accepted, but am I ready to attend Shippensburg University?

A short PowerPoint presentation may answer your questions and address your concerns.

What is the first step for registering with the Office of Accessibility Resources?

Students registering with the Office of Accessibility Resources must complete an Accommodation Request form. This is a single page form that requires basic Ship student information and allows the student to briefly describe how the disability affects him/her in an academic environment. Possible accommodations are checked, a student signature is required, and the form is sent or hand-delivered directly to the Office of Accessibility Resources, Mowrey Hall 252, FAX: (717) 477-4094

If I had an IEP in high school do I receive all of the same accommodations at Shippensburg University?

No. Supporting documentation, along with a recent IEP (if available), is reviewed by the Director or Assistant Director of the Office of Accessibility Resources. Accommodations offered in higher education under the ADA are very different than those offered in K-12 under IDEA. Under the ADA, each student must fulfill all the requirements of the course and the major. For example, extensions to assignment deadlines or adjustments to the course curriculum, including attendance requirements, are not available to any university student as an accommodation.

What type of documentation do I have to provide to the Office of Accessibility Resources to receive appropriate accommodations?

Documentation can vary, depending on the disability. What is consistent is that all documentation must be compiled and signed by a licensed professional. This may include, but is not limited to, a psychologist, psychiatrist, medical doctor, specialized therapist, or family physician.

Is my documentation confidential?

Yes! All documentation is housed in the Office of Accessibility Resources and is not shared with any other office or department, on or off campus, without student signed permission.

Do my professors know I am registered with the Office of Accessibility Resources?

If the students are asking for, and approved to receive, classroom accommodations such as extended test time, each professor for students’ current semester courses is informed of eligibility for this accommodation with an Accommodation Notification Form (ANF). Receipt of this form by the professor confirms student enrollment with the Office of Accessibility Resources and the exam accommodation MUST be offered. However, each faculty member has the personal choice of how the accommodation will be carried out. The Accommodation Notification Form indicates accommodations the student is eligible for but does NOT disclose any information regarding the actual disability.

What kinds of accommodations are offered at the University level?

All accommodations are determined on a case-by-case basis and are regulated by mandates under the Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) of 1990, Section 504 of the Rehabilitation Act of 1973, and the Americans With Disabilities Amendments Act of 2008 (ADAAA). Examples of appropriate accommodations at the university level include extended test time, alternate testing site, a reduced distraction testing environment, enlarged print or ZoomText for exams, and use of a reader, scribe and/or laptop for exams. Other accommodations may include note-taking services, books in alternate format (PDF), and access to the adaptive equipment in the library’s Tech Lab.

Do I have to purchase my own adaptive software to bring to campus?

The adaptive equipment tech lab is located in the Lehman Library, 1st floor, room 136. The lab is accessible to students registered with the Office of Accessibility Resources only and includes ReadWrite Gold, Kurzweil 3000 or Firefly (both are text-to-speech programs), ZoomText, and JAWS. Adobe Reader and other free downloads work with books requested in a PDF version. Students who routinely use adaptive software benefit by having their own copies on personal, portable technology; however, the purchase of all specialized adaptive software or hardware, such as ergonomic keyboards or track-ball mice, is a personal choice and personal responsibility.

How can I schedule an appointment to meet with someone in the Accessibility Resources office?

Appointments to meet with the Director or Assistant Director of the Office of Accessibility Resources are scheduled through the department secretary, Mrs. Brandy Linn, at 717-477-1364.

Where is the Office of Accessibility Resources  located on campus?

The Office of Accessibility Resources is located on the 2nd floor of Mowrey Hall, part of the Student Success Center. Mowrey Hall is located on Cumberland Drive, next to Reisner Dining Hall and across from the Ceddia Union Building (CUB).

What are other support services available to me?

The university offers many support services to enrolled students. These include the Learning Center, a university-wide peer tutoring program, the Student-Athlete Academic Support Program, the University Counseling Center, access to Learning Specialists, and other departmental academic support and advising/coaching opportunities.

How can I find out more about the Office of Accessibility Resources  at Shippensburg University on my own?

Open Houses are scheduled on five Saturdays throughout the academic year. The Office of Accessibility Resources, along with many other departments and programs, is represented at all open house events. Informational appointments with students and their families can be scheduled with the Director or Assistant Director by contacting Mrs. Brandy Linn at 717-477-1364.