The English minor is an extremely flexible program. You choose the classes that interest you most, from great works of literature to professional writing. The minor suits students from a wide variety of disciplines and allows them to pursue their creative and literary interests in ways that will enhance any career.
What Will I Learn?
You will learn to read, write, converse and think critically. In this flexible minor, you can take a variety of courses in literary studies, creative writing, and professional writing, according to your interests.
The curriculum allows you to develop skills that are hard to learn and that employers most desire:
- Creativity and innovation
- Collaborative thinking
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Problem solving
What are the requirements for this degree?
You must take 18 credits to complete this minor:
- One required course (ENG 130)
- Five additional electives
The Undergraduate Catalog provides details about program requirements.
What Types of Careers Could I Get With This Degree?
More career opportunities open for college and university graduates who can read and write well. Because success in most professions demands effective thinking, the study of English is excellent preparation for careers in law, medicine, education, technical writing, journalism, theology, personnel, marketing, management, administration, publishing and writing.
What Kinds of Experiences Could I Have on Campus?
English Department programs allow you to thrive through:
- Opportunities to share your work and have it published
- Close-knit relationships with experienced and caring faculty
- Interaction with renowned and award-winning writers
- Department activities, workshops, research and involvement with student groups and professional organizations